Monday, June 21, 2010

A Baby Story

Here I sit ready to document the story of our new baby boy's arrival. More than 4 weeks have come and gone and there is a quiet moment in the house to tell Kennon's story. Such is the life of a mother of three. It takes a while to get things done, but, eventually, they will get done.

May 4, 2010, the day our third beautiful, healthy baby boy made his way into the world. The day was sunny and bright just as it was the day our other boys were born when our hearts and lives were filled with more joy and blessings than we ever imagined possible.

The Friday before his arrival I went to my regular doctor's appointment hopeful that I would be able to deliver on my own without induction. As I left the doctor's office he told me to cancel my regular appointment for the following week and make my six week follow up appointment. He expected me to return over the weekend, but if not, I had a spot reserved for induction the following Tuesday. Excited, I rushed out of his office making my final prep to do list i.e. pack bags for the older boys, stock house with food and staples, paint toes, etc.

Determined to have my own water breaking-in-the-middle-of-the-grocery-story stories, I walked like a mad woman. My sweet neighbor Shelly joined me on walks around the neighbor. I walked fast at a steep incline on the treadmill. We even went to SDC with Ozark Mountain hills galore. No change. Ok, fine, I'll be patient and let nature take its course. So....along came Tuesday morning.

Posted by Picasa
My parents arrived bright and early to stay with Brayden and Grayson. Brian was on call that day with no offers from his partners to take his call (not a stab just documenting the facts here) so my mom insisted on riding along with us in case Brian got called away. We arrived at the hospital, got checked in, I changed into the stylish gown, Brian ran off to take out a gall bladder and round while I settled in for a quick and easy delivery.

Around 7:30 my doctor came in and wondered where Brian took off to because he passed him leaving the parking lot. I assured the doctor he would be back in an hour. The doctor agreed to return in 90 minutes. The nurse started the pitocin around 8 am and I expected to be holding a new baby boy and sipping champagne by noon. Brian returned, but left again to do another big case. The doctor assumed I would deliver quickly and wanted to wait to break my water until Brian was almost done with my case. By this time I was glad my mom agreed to come along because it would have been a long, lonely morning without here. My sister and baby Matney joined us too to help pass the time.


A knock at the door around 10:30 brought Papa G, Brayden and Grayson on the scene. Finally, at 12:40 the doctor broke my water. Accepting reality, I adjusted my timeline and expected the baby by 2. So began the wait......again for the contractions to get in gear. Now, Papa K had joined us. With all those eyes filled with anticipating staring me down I was ready to get on with it. We waited.......taking pictures, coloring and playing games to pass the time.

Around 3:30 pm the contractions started getting more intense. The nurses were so impressed with my pain tolerance they nearly had me convinced to go on my own without an epidural. I decided that would be crazy so I went on with it. It was the epidural from hell. I swear the anesthesiologist put the epidural needle in at least two or three times and spun it around a few extra times for good measure. As soon as the epidural was in the contractions started getting wild and I was ready to push. Brian was out wandering the halls rounding on patients so my mom had the nurses page him.    Later, my dad said Brian came down the hall taking 6 foot steps. If I hadn't been trying not to push I would have taken the time to give him a "priorities" lecture.  But, really, I was so happy to see him. 

Finally, the doctor rushed in and pushing commenced....and continued....and continued some more....and more. The rest of the crew - including Aunt Natalie who surprised us and drove in - waited....and waited....and waited some more outside for more than 90 minutes.  Brayden and Grayson even had time for a power nap. 


Kennon Curtis made his way into the world at 5:29 pm. He was beautiful and healthy with a boisterous set of lungs. He was worth far more than all those extra pushes.
As I looked down and held him in my arms for the first of thousands of times my heart filled with love and joy as my eyes filled with tears. We love you always and forever sweet baby Kennon. Our lives were filled with joy and celebration the day you arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment