Lately, as we've shared in Brandon and Ashley's preparation I've been reminiscing about our sisterhood. One of my earliest memories is of the summer evening my parents told me I would soon be a big sister. I bounced around all evening walking on air with excitement. Of course, back then, ultrasounds were not a regular part of OB care so I patiently waited for a cold day in February to learn I had a new sister. Mom was scheduled to be induced later that morning, but in what would become classic-Ashley-style she wanted us to know she would decide when and how she would arrive.
At a very independent 4-1/2 years old, I threw on my favorite purple elastic waist pants and a pink, blue and purple stripped shirt. I was ready to roll. We raced to the hospital where a family friend met my dad so they could ship me off and spare me the trauma of witnessing Ashley's gorry entrance.
Later that day we returned to the hospital and I peeked through the nursery window to get my very first glimpse at my new sister. She was beautiful. She looked like a little doll I couldn't wait to tuck into my baby carriage and take care of. Little did I know she would turn my world upside down. Ashley had this blood curdling cry like no other baby I have ever heard. The cry turned into a stubborn determination and relentless whine that - honestly - still shows up every now and then. (Shhh, don't tell Ashley I said that.)
Anyway, years went by and although we loved each other like sisters should, it took us a long time to really appreciate each other. We used and abused each other and would form a united front when it was convenient to conspire against mom and dad or accomplish a shared goal like missing the bus on purpose so we could call Grandpa Curt to come drive us to school. Ahhh, not that we ever did that.
Ashley covered for me a few times in high school when I stranded her at the bus stop to ride to school with a boy or borrowed our mom's favorite pair of earrings. I covered for her when it was convenient for me. I returned the favor later by accidentally keeping an expired ID in safekeeping until she needed it in college. I taught her the lesson that college is worth so much more than education with that expired id. When the statute of limitations for parental punishment expired a few years later and we could share the story mom and dad really appreciated my generosity.
I wish I could recall the moment when our relationship started to change from a love/hate relationship to a friendship unlike any I have ever shared with anyone else. As we matured, our friendship blossomed and evolved. Today we share big and small moments, daily challenges, a love for cooking, travel, devotion to our families and husbands, trials and tribulations and so many more memories.
We have shared so many wonderful memories and I look forward to all the moments we will share in the future with our growing families. The count down is on with less than 30 days to go until one of the greatest celebrations and adventures of Ashley's life begins. I am thrilled to be a part of it and can not wait to see her grow in her role as a mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment