Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Everyday Learning - 1st edition

In the first 6 weeks of my early/semi retirement I have immensely enjoyed spending quality time with my boys. We laugh, play, read dozens of books, go on outings, make new friends, cook together and seize many other interesting adventures. I have also have enjoyed tackling a few adventures of my own - simple little things I've wanted to do for a long time, but have never taken the time for. The list is somewhat spastic and varied, but,hey, that makes us well-rounded, I think.

Mastering the Mandoline
The cooking gadget, not the musical instrument. Years ago my boss gave me a gift certificate to Williams-Sonoma. It was for a hefty sum so I splurged on something I always wanted, but would never buy for myself - a French mandoline. Until this week it had never been out of the box. The mandoline is my new favorite kitchen gadget. It makes the most beautifully transparent potato slices ever seen. My boys are starting to wonder if we will eat potatoes all month, but, hey, it is March and isn't Ireland known for potatoes. I consider it my St. Patrick's Day tribute.


Now those are perfectly sliced potatoes.

Opened the Biggers3 Art Gallery
Wanting to make every possible effort to encourage my boys artistic interests and build their confidence I opened an art gallery in our home. I stole this idea from a friend.  This is probably the tiniest art exhibit ever, but it makes the boys feel proud. The frames are great because they are hinged so changing our exhibit is easy.

Admission is free.

Quilting 101
My mom has developed a real talent for quilting and started a tradition with my oldest son to make a quilt for each grandchild. She has now made four quilts each more unique than the one before it. My sister and I are responsible for coordinating the quilt material and then mom does all the work. Mom often says Ashley and I fell short because we are challenged to sew on a button. I accepted her challenge and agreed to give quilting a shot. I participated in the easy part - cutting. I am a master at cutting now and even brushed up on my math and geometry skills a bit because there is a good amount of both involved in sewing. I think there are about 4 more steps to making a quilt so I guess that means 4 more kids if I keep pacing myself.....just kidding.

Keep in mind, my mom did the work, but look how beautifully those pieces are cut.

Joined the Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) group at our church
I have never felt so welcomed on a first time visit anywhere. The women in this group are living proof of strong women dedicated to their children, husbands and a balanced life. At the same time they know their own spiritual, social, emotional, physical and intellectual development is equally important. These women inspire me. If you have the opportunity to join such a group I highly recommend it. I look forward to getting to know each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment