Thursday, September 9, 2010

Brave Women and Wild Boys

After months trying to find a time to get our families together, Crystal and I finally decided to leave the big boys (husbands) behind and meet for a weekend with the little boys.  I was a little nervous driving for 2.5 hours with all three boys by myself, but they were angels the whole way there.  We met on Friday afternoon and the kids got reacquainted by splashing in the pool like wild men. 


After swimming, Crystal and I attempted some relaxation and opened a bottle of wine only to make it through half a hotel plastic cup full before having to usher the boys out the door to dinner.  Oh my, how times have changed. 

We showed our second sign of brevity (or temporary insanity) when we took the boys to a "throw your food up in the air" aka Japanese steakhouse for dinner.   As boys will be, they were mesmerized by the explosive fire.  The onion volcano never disappoints as evident in their mesmerized faces....



We ended the evening with bedtime stories.  Crystal read the stories with the three older boys piled on her lap while I fed Kennon his bedtime bottle.  The bottle of wine set on the counter, uncorked, hot and collecting dust.  After the boys were asleep, Crystal and I attempted to catch up without interruptions.  The only interruption was our eyelids closing.  We finally gave it up and were sound asleep by 10:30.  Coincidentally, I believe 10:30 used to be the time we tried to leave our apartment to "go out" back in the good ole college days.  Once again, oh my, how times have changed. 

The next morning my boys were up before the crack of dawn, dressed and ready to roll.  I was so jealous to see Crystal and Hagen snuggled up sleeping soundly.   I suppose, some things don't change after all.

Once the brood was fed, clothed and ready to get out of dodge we loaded up and went to the zoo.  We had a slightly less angelic experience at the zoo because it was hot and crowded with about 5,000 boy scouts.  Crystal and I spent a lot of time bargaining and running interference between the boys debating over who rode and who got to pull the wagon.   Boys! 

On the bright side, the polar bear was a highlight, along with the train ride and many rides on the carousel.  All the walking and excitement of seeing the animals wore the boys out which guaranteed long naps for everyone on the long ride home. 





Although we do not see each other as often as we would like, we always make the best of our visits and pick up right where we left off. In the 13 years I've known Crystal I am always refreshed after talking and being with her.  Her cheerful personality, kind, loving spirit, fun disposition and laughter inspire me.  She is simply a wonderful friend, mother, wife, daughter, granddaughter and so much more.  Hagen has every one of her wonderful, endearing qualities and lots of his daddy's spunk.

Next time, though, we leave the wild boys (husbands and sons) at home so we can really catch up and - for pete's sake - make it through one bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment