Then reality struck. Six months into this full time mom and household manager gig, I realize my dream may have been a tiny bit unrealistic. There have being many, many lessons learned along the way - probably more by me than they boys. I think the most profound lesson I have learned so far is that structure is good, but letting life and spontaneity take over sometimes offers the very best lessons in life.
Case in point - Just last week as Brayden was approaching his last day at the preschool he has been attending for more than two years I found myself in a panic to come up with a thank you card for his teachers without having to make another trip to the store.
After a little digging in the art closet I uncovered a nice large piece of art board and our paints. I stripped the boys down and they painted their thank you card for Brayden's teachers while I made lunch. It consumed more than 30 minutes. While they painted we talked about appreciation and being thankful for the gifts we are given. On his own Brayden said, "Mom, I appreciate Miss Carrie being patient with me when I wasn't a good listener and helping me be kind to my friends." In my head I said, "Amen, brother!"
I realized in that moment that I could spend every day being a slave to structure, sitting down to force certain facts into my boys minds and always reaching for my idea of perfection, but the very best lessons are those they learn in the moments we least expect. The moments of spontaneous activities, conversations and through experiencing life.
In the end, they were both very proud of their first joint artistic venture. They presented it to the teachers the next day with big smiles and bear hugs. Several of the teachers eyes filled with tears as they told me how much they would miss the boys. My eyes filled with tears too as I realized I owe a debt of gratitude to all those special ladies that taught my boys important lessons while I was away working.
I guess it really does take a village to raise a family.
Artistic thank you painting in progress. Nakedness required.
Brayden proudly debuting the end result.
He wrote the "Thank You" and "Love, Brayden" all on his own.
Miss Carrie! Love and patience beyond words.
No comments:
Post a Comment