There are so many things I enjoy about the Christmas season.
The joyful gathering of people we love.
Christmas carols about the birth of baby Jesus.
Festive spirits.
Beautiful decorations.
Christmas cards and letters from old and new friends.
Holiday baking.
Giving.
And so much more. We have so enjoyed decorating with the boys this year. While we are decorating, buying gifts and getting caught up in the hustle and bustle, we are working very hard to put even more emphasis on the real meaning of Christmas and helping the boys understand its importance.
Nearly every day this week little Grayson said "Mommy, sing happy birthday. Sing happy birthday little Jesus." At school, the boys have learned Christmas carols and I feel like we are making progress when they sing "Away in a manger" before they sing "Santa Claus is coming to town".
Brayden - remembering what we did last year - asked me if we could go buy gifts to give to the kids that "don't have a mommy and daddy."
When I look around our house at the toys and stuff scattered everywhere I feel a little ashamed at times, but then, in the moments when I know the boys are thankful and gracious I feel confident in knowing it is OK for them to have plenty so long as they understand and appreciate it and are willing to put others needs before their own. Teaching this lesson is challenging, but it isn't a lesson to learn overnight. It is a lesson learned over a lifetime.
As we teach these lessons to our sweet boys we enjoy establishing and relishing in special traditions too like cooking and decorating and sharing gifts with people we love together.
Here are some of the results of our decorating.
No comments:
Post a Comment